Monday 7 January 2013

To Wrap It All Up

Hi guys, last post here, sad I know! I have thoroughly enjoyed having my blog this term, it has encouraged me to keep up with other science blogs, news sites and journals which I probably would not have had the motivation to make time for otherwise.



During the past few weeks we have looked at natural resources and how we humans have utilised them in ways beneficial to us but in many cases totally destructive to the environment and our planet. Examples of finite resources and their impacts from exploitation were diamond mining, fracking, methane hydrates and over fishing. On a more positive note renewable energy sources were looked at such as wind, solar and biogenic energy.

There is no doubt that our need for natural resources is just going to keep on growing alongside our expanding population. So if we can't reduce our need for energy, food and technology then mitigation of the adverse effects caused by them is what we need to focus on. Through schemes such as ecosystem services and, more dramatically geoengineering, us humans hopefully won't be our own demise.



Thank you for reading my blog, I hope that you have enjoyed it as much as I have writing it, who knows it may even resurface once again...

Becca.


1 comment:

  1. That's good Rebecca. I am lucky to find your blog. I am a chemical engineer who works for chemical processing plant right now. I will come here again as you post your great story.

    ReplyDelete